Sunday, February 28, 2010

this is the first draft of a sestina. it does not have a title

Shit son, I hadn’t yet seen da first full moon
'For I seen you fly through dem damn doors, boy.
And shit, look atcha. You ain’t tryin’
To please no one wit dat raggedy ass way
Dat you walkin’, like some preposterous fool
Dat don’t know a good thing when he see it.

I knew before you walked in dem doors dat it
Wouldn’t at all take much a dis here moon-
Shine ta fill you up and getchoo actin’ a fool.
Hell, I been drinkin’ it since the time I was a boy
And God almighty know it’s one a da only way
Ta keep a young boy like you from tryin’

His best not to own da world. I’m just tryin’
Ta tell you how it is out here. It ain’t pretty but it
Sho is real. I can tell you ain’t goin the right way.
That path you walkin’ ain’t one where the moon
-light shines. It’s a sick path. A broken path, boy.
A path dat’s marked wit all the trappings of a fool-

Hearty man. God don’t take kind to a man wit fool-
Ish ways. Da way ta his path ain’t found by tryin’
Ta pave ya own. It’s about followin’. Followin’, boy.
When you see da path of God, well, you know it.
It’s marked by da blood a da Righteous, and da moon
Shines down on it so all you see is red all up dat way.

It’s da red you gots t’follow. It ain’t easy, it’s a way-
Ward path. All red, same coluh as da fruit a dat fool
Woman who brought us down into dis mess. No moon
Ain’t ever guide her path since. No sense in tryin’
Ta make sense a her. Some is just born bad, it
Ain’t somethin’ you can explain away. Ya hear boy?

You know, there was a time when I was boy
And I did da same stupid shit as you, same way
Even. But ‘ventually I jus seen dat for what it
Was. Saw dat I treat God like some men treat a fool
They find drunk and beggin’ on da street. Just tryin’
Ta find some comfort aside from da stars and da moon

Dat just the way it is, boy.
Moon shines da light in da right direction but we gotta find da way.
And each one of us is a fool in da dark, tryin’. Always tryin’.

No comments:

Post a Comment